Saturday, August 1, 2009

To My Six-Year-Old Son

How did you get in here?
I thought I locked that door.
No, Daddy does love you; he just needs special video game alone time.

So he won’t go crazy.
You can stay in here if you promise to be quiet.
Hey look at me, buddy.
Promise?

Do you promise to be quiet?
Ok then.




That’s a laser gun. Like in cartoons.


That man isn’t hurt, he’s an alien. Aliens don’t have feelings.

That’s a force-field; Daddy has to blow that up to get into the base.

No, they’re all just sleeping.
You promised me you’d be quiet.


What?

Ha-ha! You should ask Mommy that.

Because mommies know the answer. Daddies don’t know where babies come from because mommies keep it a secret.

Yes, Mommy keeps it a secret.
I think it involves a pterodactyl. You should ask her about that.

It’s a dinosaur that flies. I gave you that big book of dinosaurs; don’t you ever look at that?

Yes, you came from an egg, like the dinosaurs.

No, breakfast eggs are different.

No, those are chicken babies.

Because people babies don’t get eaten; people babies grow up to ask their daddies all kinds of questions.

Like the questions you’re asking me.

The ones you’ve been asking me.

Like that one, just there.


Of course I love you.

I love you and your mommy equally.

I love you too.
Do you love me or mommy more?

Really?

Why?





Well then I guess I love mommy more too.

Well you made such a convincing case for her; I think I actually do love her a little more than you now.

Because mommy and I can always make another baby if you don’t clean your room.
We can even give him your name and all your toys, so no one will know you’re gone.


Then you’d better be good, so we don’t have to make a better baby to replace you.
That sounds like mommy’s home, why don’t you go ask her about pterodactyls and where babies come from?






Hi honey, how was work-

I just told him to ask you-

Now look, don’t get upset, I was just kid-

He’s fine! Why are you yelling?


He’s not crying!

Well he wasn’t crying a minute ago, he only cries when you’re around!
He knows you’ll give him whatever he wants.

No. You’re being manipulated. He doesn’t care about what I said; he just wants you to baby him!

Yeah, great, take him out for ice cream to cheer him up; I’m sure B.F. Skinner would have a little something to say about that.

Fine then!








I hope they both drop their stupid ice creams.
Jerks.


1 comment: