Monday, June 22, 2009

Do We Like Music According To The Way Our Minds Work?

Seems like a silly question, but I mean it more literally.

I noticed this morning that no matter what genre of music I listen to, it all kind of follows a pattern.

I like music that builds in intensity and energy, growing and spiraling off of itself.

Whether it’s instrumental, hip-hop, rock, metal, etc, it doesn’t matter.

 

Noticing this, I also happened to realize that this tends to be the pattern of my thoughts: there’s generally a number of underlying currents of consciousness, but then one new idea will spark, which will make a few of the currents louder and more pronounced, as this new idea forms other new idea-spinoffs in a weird thought-symphony/cacophony.

 

I wonder if people who listen to more flowing melodic music have more flowing melodic thoughts, and whether or not we all gravitate towards our own natural patterns inherently.
Maybe people who listen to old country are naturally more nostalgic in the way they think or they tend to focus more on their past, etc.

This would explain why certain people listen to certain music, and how that stereotype plays out in reality.

Maybe it explains why some music may be more pleasurable with the effects of certain drugs: death metal and cocaine, reggae and weed, trance and ecstasy, etc.

I'll be thinking about this all day... 

No comments:

Post a Comment